Quality and Compliance
The AVRL Quality Management System is designed to meet standards applied to AAVLD-accredited veterinary laboratories and to standards imposed upon human medical laboratories by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). The ISO 15189 and 17025 international standard each list general requirements for competence of testing and calibration for laboratories. The standard includes guidelines to users of the laboratory service, the collection of patient samples, the interpretation of test results, acceptable turnaround times, how testing is to be provided in a medical emergency, and the laboratory's role in the education and training of health care staff. To meet or exceed those guidelines, AVRL instituted the following policies:
- Use a state-of-the-art laboratory information system to support all aspects of AVRL.
- Select analyzers and test methodologies that use cutting edge technology to provide the most current, accurate, and dependable test results available.
- Challenge analyzers multiple times daily with quality control material to continually ensure proper function and delivery of accurate and reliable results.
- Participate in external proficiency testing programs that assure consistent reliability and accuracy over time.
- Participate in research and development of new laboratory technology.
- Participate in regular audits of AVRL processes, policies, and procedures to increase our efficiency for continual improvement of all aspects of our laboratory services.
- Use regular evaluation of customer needs to ensure AVRL provides excellent and up-to-date diagnostic information, sufficient for making clinical decisions.
- Provide a dependable courier system for the transport of samples within timeframes that allow prompt turn-around of results.
- Follow guidelines set by the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI).