Getting Ready to Ship
Samples are picked up from your clinic and shipped to AVRL either by courier system or by FedEx® couriers. This section will tell you how to arrange for a shipment and package your samples.
Couriers are currently available for sample pick-up and shipment to AVRL in selected metropolitan areas. We will be expanding our courier network to ultimately cover most metropolitan areas.
When you set your account up with AVRL, you will be advised if courier pick up is available in your area. A daily pick-up time will be established for your clinic. If necessary, drop boxes may be provided for specimen pick up after clinic hours. If you do not require a regular daily pick-up, you may call AVRL Customer Service to request courier service when needed. Each market may have a different schedule of daily pickups to ensure that all practices in that area are served. During the initial set-up of your account, your representative will discuss with you the earliest and latest times that pick-ups will occur in your area. Samples should be collected and stored in the proper environment prior to shipping. Be sure to follow the collection requirements previously described in the AVRL Services Directory.
Each animal's sample(s) should be labeled and placed in an individual re-sealable bag along with the corresponding sample requisition and absorbent material. Make sure the requisition is completely filled out and the bag is securely sealed. Be sure to package Priority Results samples in the provided BLUE bags, but only if you used the Priority Results online requisition form, otherwise use the clear bags we provide. Priority Results will be processed first in the lab to take advantage of the increased efficiency available from the online system. Use the Priority Results system to ensure the quickest delivery of results.
Have all of the day's samples ready for the courier at the time of the scheduled pick up. If using a drop box, make sure the samples are in the box prior to the scheduled pick up time and properly protected from the weather.
If you practice outside of the current courier network, AVRL uses FedEx couriers for sample pick up and delivery. AVRL worked with the FedEx business center to develop a pick-up system to improve efficiency for our clients. Instead of a traditional FedEx air bill, AVRL uses the FedEx Express® Billable Stamp shipping label system, the label of which contains all of the necessary billing information to correctly invoice AVRL for your shipment.
To use this shipping label system:
- Fill in your name, phone number, and date of shipment.
- Peel off the right side of the stamp and fasten it to the shipping box.
- Retain the left side for your records, in case you want to track the shipment.
We provide the Billable Stamp shipping label to you at no cost along with all of your shipping
supplies. There are some important things to note regarding the Billable Stamp system:
- The Billable Stamp shipping label is preaddressed to AVRL and includes a unique FedEx zip code for use only within the FedEx system. The AVRL shipping address on the Billable Stamp shipping label is proprietary and for FedEx shipping purposes only.
- If you use the information on the Billable Stamp shipping label to send items to AVRL via U.S. Mail those items may be delayed or lost.
- Be sure to use our AVRL postal address for all correspondence:
Abaxis Veterinary Reference Laboratories
14830 W. 117th Street
Olathe, Kansas 66062
How to Package Samples for FedEx Couriers
- Samples should be collected and stored in the proper environment prior to shipping. Be sure to follow the collection requirements in the AVRL Services Directory.
- Each animal's sample(s) should be labeled and placed in an individual re-sealable bag along with the corresponding requisition and absorbent material. Make sure the requisition is completely filled out and that the bag is securely sealed. Be sure to package Priority Results samples in the provided BLUE bags, but only if you used the Priority Results online requisition form (otherwise use the clear bags we provide). Priority Results will be processed first in the lab to take advantage of the increased efficiency available from the online requisition system. Use the Priority Results system to ensure the quickest delivery of results.
- Place the sealed sample bags in the provided shipping box. Place as many sealed bags as comfortably fit into each box.
- Place the box in the provided FedEx Lab Pack. Lab Packs will hold up to 2 boxes of samples.
- Using the provided FedEx Billable Stamp shipping label, fill in your clinic information and date and attach to the Lab Pack. Keep the top copy of the Billable Stamp shipping label for you own records.
- Have each day's Lab Pack ready for pick up at your scheduled pick up time. If you do not have a scheduled daily pickup, please call FedEx shipping at 1-800-GO-FEDEX (1-800-463-3339) to arrange for one.
- For samples picked up on Friday, please write Saturday Delivery on the Billable Stamp. Saturday pickups can be arranged by calling FedEx shipping. FedEx couriers do not pick up or deliver on Sunday.
- For any questions regarding FedEx shipping or any other shipping inquiry, contact AVRL Customer Service at 800-822-2947.
Are There Any Shipping Charges?
AVRL pays for all of the shipping charges whether you use the courier network or FedEx couriers. We encourage you to help us keep our shipping cost low (which allows us to pass the cost savings onto you) by shipping as many samples as possible in one shipment. Importantly, to preserve sample integrity, when there are multiple samples per shipment, be certain that each individual pet's or animal's sample is placed in an individual re-sealable bag.